The creation of an adornment

img_6518

As part of my Foundation course I had to undertake the creation of an adornment over a period of three weeks. The brief was to design and create something to decorate the body, linking with an architecture movement and an artist. My tutors randomly selected Cy Twombly and organic architecture for me to use as inspiration. I worked on these as a starting point, briefly touching on the organic architect Frank Lloyd Wright, before moving onto Twombly, who I looked into in depth. I focused on his ‘Bacchus’ paintings, taking influence from the gestural brush strokes.

img_7281

This developed into looking at Cy Twomblys’ work with flowers, which depicted fluid shapes of ink spilling onto the page. I then looked into Thakoon’s Fall 2014 collection which was influenced by Twombly’s work, when creating the bold floral prints featured throughout the collection. This demonstrated to me how a designer can be influenced by artist’s work and transform it into a versatile and wearable collection. I decided to create my own version by hand painting using acrylic and ink directly onto the fabric. I was very pleased with the results due to the contrasting colours and the difference in tones due to the ink.

img_7279

Due to the successful nature of using ink I decided to look into the artist Daniel Egneus who creates beautiful fashion illustrations using spilt ink onto the page. I felt his expressive work would influence not only my design process but my illustrative fashion designs. I tried to simulate his work as seen below and I feel it worked well due to the fluidity of the lines.

img_7270

Moving on from this I decided to explore further with the use of ink, creating a rorschach which happened to turn out beautifully through the shape, however also through the mix of red, yellow and purple tones.

img_7274

I decided that the rorschach would become the basis of my adornment so I began to think about how the print could be translated onto fabric. I attempted using ink, however it was absorbed into the fabric too quickly and was too unpredictable to mimic the original rorschach.

I then experimented with the rorschach in photoshop adjusting the colours to cooler blue tones, however I decided the original warm tones worked better. Although I decided against using it further, I included the blue rorschach as part of my research, deconstructing it to create a section of a fashion illustration and then completing the rest using pen.

img_7273

I then went on to attempt again to transfer the rorschach onto fabric by using a T-shirt transfer. However the colour didn’t transfer as vividly as the original. I experimented on it with embroidery and embellishment anyway. I eventually found a solution by sewing the paper photocopy directly onto fabric, so I could get the colour payoff, however maintain the structural integrity of the paper. Therefore I completed a white straight stitch around the edge of the rorschach to attach it to the paper. I didn’t cut any of the threads as I felt this would add to the organic quality of the adornment. I then embellished it with silk and gold metallic threads and black beads. I also completed sections of random stitching onto dissolvable fabric which I then hand stitched to the adornment. I felt this connected with Cy Twombly’s Bacchus paintings, however would also appear organic as it almost looked as if it had naturally grown onto the surface.

img_7272

The following images are of the finished adornment.

img_6810

img_6821

img_6806

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s